Macdonald Smith Drive
In 1984, the Angus District Council in Scotland honored the memory of Macdonald Smith, the youngest and most successful of the Smiths of Carnoustie, with the dedication of Macdonald Smith Drive. The first Macdonald Smith Drive in the world, the entrance is 300 yards from the original Smith dwelling and ends at the railway tracks directly across from the ninth green and 10th tee box of the Carnoustie Championship Course, the links Macdonald's father tended as greenskeeper and on which Macdonald was weaned. Twenty-five years after the family's move to the U.S., Macdonald Smith set the Carnoustie course record of 71 during the Open Championship in July of 1931.
In 2014, Diablo Country Club honored the memory of the Smiths of Diablo, by dedicating a second Macdonald Smith Drive. The entrance is 1,000 yards from the Smith family cottage, leading to the Jack Neville Snack Shack located between the ninth green and 10th tee box. The course of his comeback in 1920, Diablo was originally constructed and cared for by his father for over 20 years. Macdonald Smith set the course record of 65 at Diablo in 1931, while readying for the Open Championship of 1931 held at Carnoustie.
The Neville Halfway House
Located between the fourth, ninth and 15th greens, the Neville Snack Bar has been welcoming golfers as they make their rounds for six decades.
A namesake tribute to Charter Member and original course designer, Jack Neville, the facility features a bronze plaque dedicated to the notable accomplishments of this five-time California State Amateur Champion.
The rooftop cupola, restored from the original Workman's Barn, circa 1881, celebrates the equestrian beginnings of the Club and is visible from 16 of the 18 holes of the golf course. Its commemorative address is 2014 Macdonald Smith Drive.